Lenten Worship Series 2021
A Sanctified Art LLC | sanctifiedart.org
In the season of Lent, we are reminded that, again & again, suffering and brokenness find us. We doubt again, we lament again, we mess up again. Again & again, the story of Jesus on the cross repeats—every time lives are taken unjustly, every time the powerful choose corruption and violence, every time individuals forget how to love. With exacerbation we exclaim, “Again? How long, O God?” And yet, in the midst of the motion-blur-chaos of our lives, God offers a sacred refrain: “I choose you, I love you, I will lead you to repair.” Again & again, God breaks the cycle and offers us a new way forward. Let us journey Lent within the sacred And (&) of God.
Lenten Devotional Opportunities:
- Lenten Prayer Ampersand: This Lent, we are invited to come to God in prayer again & again, weaving our prayers in with those of our family in faith. Woven together, our prayers will form the shape of an ampersand (‘and’ sign-&), an ancient symbol that, used here, represents God’s holy ‘and.’ When we feel helpless and hopeless, God’s holy ‘and’ encourages us to lift our weary eyes to search for more. In a culture overrun by extremes, either/or thinking, and polarizing politics, this holy & reminds us that we are always more—that there is always more. We are broken & beautiful. Joy & grief can coexist. Historical, systemic oppression persists & God is guiding us closer to liberation and wholeness. This Lent, send in your prayers to be added to our Ampersand Prayer Wall through an online form, Virtual Friendship Pad, phone message (607-269-5509), or snail mail to the church (send it along with your offering). Let us practice the power of ‘and’—especially when ‘again?!’ feels like our never-ending cry of lament. Within the ampersand, our prayers are held together & transformed into beauty.
- Lenten Devotional Booklet: A Sanctified Art has provided us with a beautiful Lenten devotional filled with scripture, poetry, artwork, and meditation. Journey through the devotional on your own or join with members of our church family through socially distanced means. Devotional Books are available online, for pick up at the Lenten Luminaries Walk, on the parsonage front porch, and can be mailed or dropped off upon request.
- Lenten Devotional Zoom Group: You are invited to participate in a Lenten Devotional Group led by Pastor Debbie to work you way through the season of Lent using art, scripture, poetry, and reflections found in the Lenten devotional booklet as the basis for sharing experiences of how God is meeting us, time and again, along the way. The group will meet on Thursdays, February 25 through March 25 from 7:00-8:00 PM ET. All are welcome!
- Lenten Luminaries: Continuing our Journey: Much like our Christmas journey, as we begin the season of Lent you are invited to walk the Lenten path through the sanctuary, pausing at prayer stations along the way, and spending time at the altar for ashes and the lighting of a candle. Make a reservation and spend time preparing for the Lenten season in our beloved sanctuary. Come as an individual or as a household. Hospitality Ministers will greet you and ensure that all sojourners travel in their household group and safely follow church health protocols.
Reserve your time using the links below:
Sunday, February 14 (2:00-4:00 PM)
Wednesday, February 17 (3:00-7:00 PM)
- Weekly Liturgy: Weekly outlines will be available online for personal review or devotional use. We simply cannot fit it all in Sunday worship, but we hope the words are a beautiful comfort to you at home. Find them below in the worship outline!
- Palm Sunday Palms: We will have palms available this year for Palm Sunday. Details to follow.
- Holy Week: Journey to the Cross: We are invited to return to our beloved sanctuary to walk the Luminary Path, this time along the Stations of the Cross—the story of Jesus’ final days and hours of earthly ministry. Various times will be made available for reservation from Sunday, March 28 through Saturday, April 3. Journey from the Palms Parade to the laying of Jesus’ body in the tomb so that we encounter the light of Easter morning filled with the wonder of Jesus’ love for us.
Click the links below to register:
Maundy Thursday, April 1, from 5:00 – 7:00PM
Holy Saturday, April 3, from 3:00 – 7:00PM
Worship Outline and Special Services:
February 17: Ash Wednesday—We’re Invited In
Matthew 6:1-21 & Isaiah 58:1-12
- At home worship service with directions for ashes and doodle page
- UMC Zoom Service at 12:00 PM ET with Rev. Dr. Susan Henry-Crowe preaching (Register HERE)
- YouTube service from Saratoga Springs UMC (view HERE)
- Video journey of Lenten path (available on YouTube HERE)
February 21: First Sunday of Lent—God Meets Us (liturgy HERE)
Mark 1:9-15 & Genesis 9:8-17
February 28: Second Sunday of Lent—We Are Called to Listen
Mark 8:31-38 & Psalm 22:23-31
March 7: Third Sunday of Lent—We Are Shown the Way
John 2:13-22 & 1 Corinthians 1:18-25
March 14: Fourth Sunday of Lent—God Loves First
John 3:14-21 & Ephesians 2:1-10
March 21: Fifth Sunday of Lent—We Are Reformed
John 12:20-33 & Jeremiah 31:31-34
March 28: Palm & Passion Sunday—We Draw On Courage
- Palm Sunday Parade at 2:30 PM ET (meet at St. Paul’s with a mask)
April 1: Maundy Thursday—We Are Held Together
John 13:1-17, 31b-35
- Virtual worship with Holy Communion
April 2: Good Friday—We Find Ourselves Here
April 4: Easter Sunday—The Sun Rises!
- Early Service at 8:30 AM ET at Stewart Park small pavilion (please wear a mask)
- Resurrection Service at 10:30 AM ET online and limited in-person (registration required)
Check weekly emails for details of devotional offerings.